Make High Potency Edibles Using Concentrates
Posted on July 25th, 2018 to Cannabis
Crafting the Perfect High Potency Edible
Edibles are a classic staple in the world of cannabis. A necessity among those who require smokeless options for enjoying cannabis— as well as for those who are looking to take a break or are looking to spice up the monotony of toking.
The traditional process of edible making can be quite laborious and intimidating when you have to infuse your own butter or oil with flower.
Additionally, the process of infusing bud with fats are time-consuming and expensive. Most cannabutter or oil recipes call for at least a quarter of an ounce of bud for each stick of butter or 4oz of oil—which can get quite costly.
The alternative? Concentrates like shatter, live resin, and wax etc. can be used to make edibles without the process of extracting the THC from the flower. Instead concentrates allows us to simply infuse edibles that can be directly mixed into any recipe you like.
Most dispensaries use butane or C02 to make their concentrates, with butane hash oil (BHO) being the most common among the shatters, live resins and waxes you see on shelves—so this is what we will be using for our recipe.
Even though we are making high potency edibles, we still want to make sure we calculate their potency for your safety and others you may share with. BHO edibles are powerful stuff with a 55% to 90% THC potency range. Compare that to Godfather OG— the strongest strain on the planet coming in at 34% THC, and you can see why we are serious about calculating their potency.
It is a very simple process, especially for those using full grams of concentrate. For example, let’s say you want to make peanut butter cookies that pack a good punch and your recipe yields 30 cookies. If your BHO tests at 75% THC, then you would have 750mg of THC to work with. When you divide your 750mg of THC by 30 (number of cookies), you will get your serving size dosage—which is 25mg of THC.
If you are wanting to make them stronger and really want to go hog wild, you can make 50mg cookies by adding another gram of concentrate or by cutting the recipe in half. Simple as that.
Infusing BHO with Fats
When you make cannabutter using flower, it can be a very smelly and long process. With BHO, you can have ready to use oil or butter in a little over an hour without the mess or smell.
Ingredients & Materials:
1 gram of BHO
8 ounces of butter
An oven-safe dish, a silicone baking mat, or parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 225°F.
- Set BHO on silicone baking mat, or, take your parchment paper and line it inside your oven-safe baking dish and leave it in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Turn the oven off but leave your BHO inside to cool down for another 20-30 minutes to allow the THC to activate a little more at the same time it cools.
- Put your BHO in the freezer for 15 minutes to allow it to harden enough to make removal easy.
- Melt butter in a saucepan on a medium-low heat.
- Taking your cold concentrate, apply it to a metal fork.
- Slowly heat the air close to your concentrate to slowly start melting it into your hot butter or oil.
- Once you have all of your concentrate in your butter or oil, stir it until the concentrate is evenly blended throughout the mixture.
- Place your infusion in a container and refrigerate it until it becomes solid. If you’re impatient, you can put it in the freezer, making sure to stir it every 7-10 minutes until it is hard.
- You’re done! Make sure to label your BHO infusion and anything you cook using it because these edibles barely have an odor, taste, or color that typically distinguishes them from regular food. These are edibles you don’t want someone to ingest by mistake or unknowingly.
BHO edibles are a fun way for people who are looking to experiment with something different, something easier, and something more effective than traditional edibles.
If you want to learn how to make high potency edibles using cannabutter and flower, here is a great step by step video by our friends at Cannabis Lifestyle TV!
Breckenridge Organic Therapy carries a variety of cannabis products that are naturally sourced and high quality. Feel free to stop by or contact us with any questions you may have and we will be happy to help!