What is Bhang?
Bhang is one of, if not the oldest cannabis-infused drinks of all time. This milk-based beverage has been made and used for spiritual and medicinal purposes for thousands of years in India and within the Hindu religion—and it still is to this day.
The History Behind Bhang
Ancient Indian texts dating back to 1200-1000 B.C describe how they would use Bhang as a remedy for anxiety. But its uses did not stop there. Bhang was loved so much, it made its way into their local mythology— one legend went as far as claiming it was an “elixir of immortality”. Bhang used in traditional religious ceremonies should be made from marijuana grown high on the Himalayan mountains because that symbolizes it as being a “gift from God”. Needless to say, there was a lot of respect and value placed on the spiritual and medicinal significance of Bhang in Indian culture.
Today, in some parts of India, Bhang is used for its wide range of medicinal benefits including: low appetite, fever, sunstroke, digestion issues, dysentery, soothing nerves, reducing pain, chapped skin, arthritis, multiple sclerosis, auto immune diseases, insomnia, depression, anxiety, cancer and HIV/AIDs.
In the west, cannabis connoisseurs are starting to get wind of bhang, its history, and the wide range of benefits this dank drink has to offer— and we are happy to share our knowledge about it!
How can I make Bhang?
The nice thing about making Bhang is that it does not require you to make cannabutter or any other cannabis oil beforehand, making it a nice alternative to traditional edibles. Here is a list of all the things you’ll need to make a batch of Bhang.
- Cooking Pot
- Blender or Pestle/Mortar
- Stove Top
- 2 cups water
- 28g of cannabis buds
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup ginger
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- 4 cups of warm milk
- 1 tsp rosewater
- Begin by filling the cooking pot up with water and bringing it to a boil over the stovetop.
- Then put your buds in the pot of boiling water, removing the pot from the stove and placing a lid over it for ten to fifteen minutes
- Next, take your cloth or strainer and use it to separate the liquid from the plant matter.
- Warm the milk, adding two teaspoons to the blender/ mortar and strained marijuana.
- Blend/Grind the milk and weed with the blender/pestle and continue to add a couple teaspoons of milk at a time until you use the entire ½ cup.
- Strain the milk from the marijuana, placing the milk to the side.
- Throw in your almonds and warm milk in the blender/mortar, blending or grinding it until it becomes a fine paste.
- Add in the cinnamon, ginger, rosewater, almonds and top it off with as much honey as you wish.
Additional Ingredients or Variations
Additional ingredients included in this recipe such as ginger, honey, cinnamon, and almonds come with a whole host of nutrients on their own, which is why we love this method of getting high.
Visual learner? Here is a quick and easy Bhang video recipe tutorial you can follow!
Get in Touch!
Breckenridge Organic Therapy carries a variety of cannabis products that are naturally sourced and high quality. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to stop by or contact us with any questions you may have and we will be happy to help!